Friday, September 7, 2012

Accessorize your space

I've worked with alot of clients that have trouble accessorizing there spaces.  It can be quite a daunting tasks but I have a few simple tips that I've learned along the way.

1.  Keep it simple, edit often.  Don't overdo it with accessories.  No one wants to see every last chotchkie you've collected throughout your life.  Seriously people, I cannot stress this enough.  Its time to pack up your ceramic doll collection and say your goodbyes.  The key here is simplicity.  Display a limited amount of pieces that are make a statement.

2.  Pick an accent color and highlight it.  This is a big one.  I always tell my clients to pick neutral bases (paint colors, furniture, wood tones) that can be punched up with accessories.  A good rule of thumb is your space should have 3 main colors - 70% base color, 20% primary accent and 10% secondary accent.  This doesn't necessarily apply to every space, but I think its a good place to start and help guide you with the amounts of color.  The best part about this is that you can keep key expensive pieces longer and simply switch out your accents when you're looking for a change.



3.  Create balance, but stay away from symmetry.  Now don't get me wrong, I love symmetry, but not when it comes to accessories.  I find it more appropriate when you balance out accessories instead of buying things in pairs.  For example, one side of your mantel you could have 3 tall thin candlesticks while on the other you have 1 low bulky vase.

4.  DIY.  Do It Yourself.  If you see something you like but you can't afford it start thinking about ways you could achieve the same look with a little DIYing.  Etsy & Pinterest are great resources for inspiration.  Check out this tutorial on creating the artwork pictured below here.



5.  Vary your sources and make them meaningful.  Make sure every piece you display has impact or has personal meaning to you.  I hate seeing peoples houses that look like they're straight out a catalog.  Pick things that are interesting and might create conversation rather than the same old vase you see in every showroom at the mall.  That being said, I have no problem with the occasional piece from Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel, but try to mix and match them with your own unique style.


6.  Change them up & do it often.  As I said before, changing up your accessories is the fun part of decorating.  Update with the trends to keep your place feeling fresh and current.

And remember accessorizing should be fun.  Don't stress people, you can always move something to a different room and solve all your problems.

Thanks for reading!

Heather
If you’re enjoying Design Create Love, show me your <3 by liking my Facebook fan page, subscribing to my Blog, or following me on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! It's so hard to find balance sometimes when you accessorize! It's definitely the most frustrating (and expensive) part of the process for me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...