Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Choosing Interior Shutters

As promised, I have photos of one of our latest projects.  I have been drooling over my neighbors houses with shutters for so long, so finally we decided to pull the trigger and get some of our very own.  I just love how they dress up a window.  The simplicity and elegance was something I felt would be a good addition to our house.  

So, we got a couple of quotes, and ended up going with Next Day Blinds.  There were a few decisions to make - wood vs vinyl, the opening style and the slat size.  Before we talk about the options, let me show you the before photos:

BEFORE:
*Disclaimer:  I know, these photos are horrific.  But its really hard to take photos of windows.  I suppose I could have tried harder, but I don't have hours to spare taking photos.  Ok, done explaining my sloppy blogging. 






So here are all the things we considered before making our purchase:

Wood vs. Vinyl:
Well, wood is more expensive, so if you're trying to go the cost effective route (like us), then go with vinyl.  They look practically the same.  From the outside you can't tell the difference.  The vinyl will also likely hold up better, less dents and scrapes from dogs, kids, etc.  But the wood is obviously a nicer quality and the touch and feel is more natural.  The wood version also offers more color selections than the vinyl.  We ended up choosing the vinyl.  And we're happy we did, because it also seems to bear some acoustic properties which is a huge added bonus.

Opening Style:
There are tons of options with the opening style.  My husband and I debated about what we should choose for a while, but in the end we decided to go with the 4 panel, center open option.  [All the styles are shown in the picture below.]  Since our windows are so wide, I really wanted to be able to completely open the shutters if we wanted to.  The center open option was the only one that would allow us to do that, all the others would still be held in the middle.  They operate similarly to bi-folding closet doors.  




Slat Size:
The last decision was choosing the size of the slat.  They range between 1-7/8" - 4-1/2".  We wanted a larger size slat, so we ended up going with the 3-1/2".  The wider slats are best for big windows and for letting in more light.  When they're in the open position you have a better view to the exterior, which allows for more light to penetrate into your space. 


AFTER:
And now for the finished product.  I heart them!

2nd Floor {Kitchen & Powder Room}:








3rd Floor {Master Bedroom}:








The end result turned out better than we had hoped.  We love the look, the light filtering, the privacy and most of all we love how dark we can make our bedroom.  Sleeping in on a Saturday just got 10 times easier!

Heather


If you’re enjoying Design Create Love, show me your <3 by liking my Facebook fan page, subscribing to my Blog, or following me on Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. They look great! I love interior shutters, they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like to see before and after shots of a design plan it really paints the picture so well, they look fantastic, you must be very pleased I particularly like white wood shutters I think they suit any room. Thank you for sharing your creative inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like to see before and after shots of a design plan it really paints the picture so well, they look fantastic, you must be very pleased I particularly like white wood shutters I think they suit any room. Thank you for sharing your creative inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...