Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Matchy Matchy Refresher

Last weekend I broke down and made the dreaded trek to Ikea.  Its always an overwhelming task, but I had a few select items in mind so I decided to suck it up and go.  I avoided all the showrooms, the cafe and the screaming children's area and went straight the marketplace.  First stop:  Art & Frame department.  I stocked up on a bunch of new frames for the house.  They carry a nice line of simple inexpensive frames that work with any type of decor.  They come in 3 colors - white, black and silver, in a variety of sizes.  I purchased the 5x7 size, for $4.99 each - which is a pretty good deal in my mind.  I'm not usually an Ikea person, because we all know there stuff is cheap and falls apart after a few uses, but for certain things it makes sense.  One of those things - is frames. 

I've been wanting to update the frames in our master bathroom for a while now.  We have a bunch of photos hanging in our bathroom that are meaningful to us and I didn't want to replace them, but the black frames were starting to look tired and didn't really match anything else.  I decided to use the silver frames in here since they match our new mirror frame that we recently installed.  Its a simple switcharoo, but it feels much lighter in there now.

Its so hard to take pictures in this room because its so small, so bare with me.  Here are a few before shots:



And here are the afters, with the new silver frames:




See how nicely that ties in the silver mirror frame!  <3. 

Oh, and not to get all sentimental, but let me tell you about the photos.  We took the photo of the sand-dollar in Oregon while driving up Route 1 before we moved to DC, it was the first full one i ever found.  I found it to be very representative of our new beginnings at the time.  The photo next to that one with the deep blue we took in Italy on our honeymoon.  Its taken from a peak in Anacapri, on the island of Capri.  It was one of our last days of the trip and I remember being so happy and relaxed.  The blue one over the toilet is a picture of a wrought iron fence that was outside of the very first apartment that we lived in together.  It always reminds me of our humble beginnings and happy were to have found each other.  The orange-y one next to that is a photo of 3 angel statues on Kelly Drive in Philly.  That's the spot where Marc proposed, almost 7 years ago.  Of course, I'll never forget that day!  Memories :)

Ok back to decorating.


This is one of my favorite purchases from Morocco, that I haven't had a chance to show you yet.  While we were negotiating the prices of our bronze light fixtures, I was eyeing up this little dish I saw in the same shop.  After we agreed to a price, we asked him if he'd throw this dish in for free - and he did!  I love it.  It perfect for our soaps and matches the silver finishes.  I love when things match - don't you?? 


Have a great day - hope everything is matching in your life too!

Heather

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...