Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Terrarium Party!


Good morning bloggies!  I wanted to share a fun project with all of you that is super easy and will test out your green thumb!  Last week, I was invited to a 'Create your Own Terrarium' party at Herman Miller, one of my favorite furniture manufacturers in town.  They always have beautiful floral arrangements on display in there showroom, so they decided to bring in there florist, Urban Petals to host an event for us designers who are constantly gushing over how beautiful the flowers are.  If you haven't heard of Urban Petals, you should check her out.  She does some amazing work here in DC and has a great story!

The invitation said we'd be making our own terrariums.  I have to admit, I didn't know too much about terrariums or even notice that they have become trendy recently, but apparently they are (I'm just a designer, what do i know?).  You can check some interesting terrarium designs here and here or you can purchase them at a few different Etsy sites:  Tiny Terrains, Natural Woodland and Petit Beast.  They'd make some fun Christmas gifts, don't you think??

If you're interested in building one on your own, I'll show you how we did it.  I have to apologize for the crappy iphone pics that's all I had with me that night.  But you'll get the point. 

Materials we used:  Moss, Stones, Soil

Plants:  I choose 4 different plants with
different leaf types, heights, volume, etc.
Glass vessel
Soil and colored stones
So, first you gather the materials above - Soil, Stones, Moss, Plants and a container to put them in.  Most nurseries will have a terrarium section.  If they don't just ask someone who works at the shop to tell you which plants are suitable for terrariums.  The plants don't require much care.  I'm told that you only have to water them once or twice a week (We'll see if mine is still alive in a few weeks).  I should also mention that you don't water them like a normal plant, instead you use a spray bottle and just give them a few spritzes of water.  The leaves will soak up all the water and take it to the roots.


Step 1:  Put stones in the bottom of the container
Step 2:  Place moss around the outside of the container

Step 3:  Add soil into the middle of the ring of moss

Step 4:  Place plants into the soil,
fill gaps in with soil and loose stones

Final Product!
Water and Enjoy :)
I had alot of fun making this.  It was something different to do and opened my eyes to world of terrariums.  Now I even have a few more terrarium inspired ideas in my head.  Have you guys ever made a terrarium?  What do you think of this latest trend?

Heather

If you’re enjoying Design Create Love, show me your <3 by liking my Facebook fan page, subscribing to my Blog, or following me on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea and will make a beautiful, natural looking decoration for the home! Thanks for bringing to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them, so easy to take care of too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...