Thursday, November 3, 2011

DIY Custom Leaf Artwork

I finally finished my custom artwork!  It was a fun little project and super easy.  Anyone could do this, even the most untalented artist.  The trickiest part is making sure your spray paint doesn't clog.  For anyone wanting to try this yourself here is a quick rundown:

First, I purchased 4 white square canvases from Micheal's, along with some acyrlic paint for the background and a can of spray paint for the top layer.  I choose a metallic silver paint for the background with a matte gray topcoat.  I love neutrals, but i also plan to paint the walls a bold color so these guys will pop off the wall.  I also purchased a large silk leaf to use as my painting sheild. 

Blank Canvases ready to go

Silk leaf paint sheild
Next, I painted each canvas with a light coat of the silver paint.  I found that using a small foam paint brush gave the canvas a nice texture.  It kind of had a brushed metal effect.  

Canvases with the silver base layer

Next, I placed the leaf on the canvas and sprayed with my gray spray paint.  It took me a few tries before i found the right amount of paint to apply.  I found the heavier the spray the better it looked.
 
In process
I ended up spraying a few of these multiple times until i found the right balance of base color to top color.  And eventually they all looked perfect.  Arranging them was the fun part.  There were lots of combinations, but we decided on this one.  Here they are hung up in my powder room:

Final product.  Someday this room will be painted a bold fun color!

Close up

I'm pretty happy with the results, but I'll be even happier when we paint the bathroom so these have something to contrast off of.  Anyway, I had fun creating and documenting my first project for you.  What do you think?  Has this inspired you do anything at your house?


Heather

If you’re enjoying Design Create Love, show me your <3 by liking my Facebook fan page, subscribing to my Blog, or following me on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great project! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us so we can do some leaf art work ourselves. I really liked the photograph that showed the silver texture left behind the large leaf. I saw your post over at "2-35 Design".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it - I'd love to see your interpretation of this project sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...